Friday, November 17, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 18, The Good Shepherd

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To listen for the voice of my Good Shepherd and welcome His call with generosity.

Mental Picture (cf. John 10:1-18): A high ridge of rock... a lonely sheep behind a dense thicket... a shepherd toils up the rocky way... the shepherd looks around, whistles his tune... the lost sheep moves toward him... strong hands gently lift it up... now it rests on the shepherd's broad shoul­ders. Soon it is back safely with the flock. A tired but happy smile lights up the shepherd's face.

My Personal Application: The parable of the Good Shepherd can teach me so much. If I should ever have the misfortune to fall into mortal sin, Christ is always eager to receive me back, no matter how far I have strayed. No matter what habits of venial sin I may have, Christ is always eager to help me abandon them. No matter how careless I have been about living my life as a Christian, Christ is always eager to help me lead my life as He wants me to live.

I Speak to Christ: Lord Jesus, I'm glad that you are my Good Shepherd, because I always know that you are interested in me and are so generous with your helps for me. Please let me listen for your voice and be at ways quick to answer your heartening call.

Thought for Today: "I know mine and mine know me."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: