Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 12, Everyday and Myself

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand Christ as the model of work and study.

The Idea: Christ did not spend all His time on His knees. He labored too, and difficult labor it was. This is important because much of our life is difficult, and unless we learn to do what we ought to, even if it is difficult, what good is our prayer?

To pray to God, and tell Him all sorts of nice things, and then to be on the lookout for the easy way out of the difficult part of living is rather odd. Christ worked. It was rough work too. Making chairs and tables out of wood, with the ancient tools of the day wasn't easy. He certainly could have figured out an easier way - but He didn't. He didn't run away from his hard work by work­ing a miracle. He did His work. He studied His Scriptures, the story of His people, the prophecies, the psalms. He could have done it all the easy way, but He didn't. He lived a real human life.

My Personal Application: Here is one lesson I can learn from Christ the youth. The easy way out is not the best. Unless there are difficult things in my life, and unless I learn to do my duty even when it is difficult, my prayer won't really mean much in my life. And it won't mean much in the lives of others either if I am to give up or grow slack in my service for them when difficulties appear. What a hypocrite I am if I promise God a life of effort filled with His ideals, but actually always choose the easy way out. Difficulty is a test of my sincerity in prayer and actiou.

I Speak to Christ: Teach me to look at my work and study with your eyes - the way you did. I can do it, but I need your help.

Thought for Today: "Lord, that I may see" - ­see things as you see them.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: