Monday, January 08, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 9, The Hidden Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand the mystery of this "hidden " life.

The Idea (cf. Luke 2:51-52): After Egypt - ­Rome? Athens? Jerusalem? No, Nazareth! Nazereth? Where is this little village? Who ever heard of it? God tying Himself down to this? A nice little village, yes... but... He was going to prepare Himself. You'd think the thing to do was to go to a big city... where a person could be a somebody... where He could meet a lot of influential people... add a little prestige to His name. After all, didn't people say afterwards: "Nazereth? Can anything good come from Naza­reth?" An unheard-of little town, and Christ comes from it to teach the kingdom of God and the way to His Father.

My Personal Application: Let tne think about this awhile. It is strange and difficult to understand, so I must ask Christ Himself to help me. This was done on purpose. Perhaps one reason was to make clear that I too - and anyone - can do God's will, God's work, no matter where He puts me. But in any case, God doesn't do things just for the fun of it, or because He just "happens" to. He knows what He wants... He knows what He is doing... and He knows the best way to do it. So, going off for thirty long years to a little unknown village hidden by surrounding hills is exactly what He wanted to do. Why? That's the big question.

I Speak to God: O God, I know you had a clear purpose in mind. I don't know yet exactly what it was, but with your help I'll try to find out during these next few days.

Thought for Today: Lord, teach me to learn to look at things the way you do.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: