Saturday, January 13, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 14, Christ and "Why?"

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand the meaning of obedience.

The Idea: If I look long and hard at Christ the youth, I'll see Him showing me how to do what is probably most difficult for many people. I see Him showing me how to obey. Do I tend to think that I have most of the answers and really nobody "old-fashioned" is going to tell me what to do?

Yet - how can I imagine Christ even thinking His parents were "old-fashioned"? In a very real sense, compared to Him, they were behind the times. This sounds strange, but isn't it true? Why did He obey His parents? Because they were smart? 1 He was smarter. Because they were holy? He was holier. Because they were good to Him? He was their Creator.

The basic reason for His obedience, and so for all obedience, is this: They were taking the place of His Father.

My Personal Application: Let me take a good look at my obedience.

Do I obey those who are in charge of me?
Do I obey just because it's the way to stay out of trouble?

The real reason why I ought to obey is that those in charge take God's place for me. This is what Christ the youth teaches me.

I Speak to Christ: If you obeyed your parents and teachers, I know I should be obedient to those who are my superiors. But it is not easy. Of course you know this better than I do. So I need your help. Help me to learn from you and to see clearly the reason why I should obey.

Thought for Today: "I came to do thy will, O God."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: