Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 3, Ingratitude to Christ in the Blessed Sacrament

In order to prepare for today's meditation, let us recall the meditation on the Holy Name of Jesus from yesterday.

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To respond more generously to our Lord's gift of Himself.

The Idea: If a young lady made little of the present her fiance spent hours carefully picking out for her, you could justly doubt that she was worthy of the young man's love.

Among us a gift expresses the desire of the giver to give himself to the object of his love. To ignore or make little of a gift is to make little of the giver. God in His infinite love offers us a gift which not only represents Him, but is His own Body and Blood. He loves us so much that He wants to be united to us as closely as possible. And how do I respond to His gift... to Him?

My Personal Application: Do I receive Holy Com­munion with little or no preparation? Do I excuse myself from going to Communion for very little inconveniences? If I do, did I ever realize that I am ignoring one who loves me enough to die for me? Or does my preparation begin from the moment I awake? Are my thoughts turned im­mediately to the fact that I will receive the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, Himself? Do I make acts of love for Him, of hope that He will keep me close to Himself, of faith that it is not bread but His Body and Blood that I shall receive?

I Speak to Christ: Dear Lord, teach me that true love comes from a knowledge and union with you. Let me realize that by ignoring or making little of the opportunity to be so closely united to you in Holy Communion I wound your Sacred Heart.

Thought for Today: "If thou didst know the gift of God."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: