Thursday, January 04, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 5, The Way to Christ

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Grant me, O Holy Spirit, grace to understand and to follow your voice.

Mental Picture: (cf. Matt. 2:2-12) : Think of the long journey made by the three wise men... across the desert following a star! Most people must have thought they were insane. See their camels plodding slowly on across the sand. Watch the star as it leads them to Jerusalem. Then it is gone. The star disappears. What can they do? They ask questions. They are sent to Bethlehem.
The star reappears, moving to stop above the house of the Prince. Bone-tired and dusty from the desert the three wise men climb off their camels and knock at the door. (Imagine the wonder in their minds... they expect to see a king... this is an ordinary house.)

Joseph opens the door. And they find Jesus with His Mother Mary. Bowing down they adore Him and give Him their gifts.

My Personal Application: So the star led them to the King after all. They weren't crazy - they were wise. Leaving home was worth it. The heat and thirst and sweat was worth it. The bumping up and down on the camel's back was worth it. My King calls me to follow Him. The Holy Spirit will lead me. The difficulties are worth it. The important thing is to hear the call and listen to the directions of the Holy Spirit. Of course, I hear no voice in thunder and lightning. Neither did the wise men. They had a star, and when the star disappeared, they asked questions. I have Christ's plan for His kingdom and for my life as an active, apostolic Catholic to lead me on in God's service. And when doubts or difficulties arise, I have access to spiritual directors, learned priests and counselors to ask my questions.

I Speak to God: O Holy Spirit, teach me to listen and to ask the right questions. The way to my King may be difficult, but I know it is worth it.

Thought for Today: "Come, follow me."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: