Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 12, With Christ Through the Year

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: God, give me a deeper insight into the meaning of the liturgical year.

The Idea: To bring her living creatures to matur­ity Mother Nature uses repetition. Each season of the year has its special purpose - the spring, when life advances; the summer, when life grows strong; the autumn, when life rests; the winter, when life prepares for new growth. And year after year Nature's children - plants and animals and men - grow to a fuller life. Mother Church also uses repetition to help her children grow. It is the repetition of the liturgical year. The liturgical year is the arrangement of the change­able parts of the Sunday and many weekday Masses to repeat and bring to mind the events of Christ's life every year. There is the happiness of the Nativity, the wisdom of the Public Life, the sorrow of the Passion, the joy of Easter. And year after year the Church's children (if they are following the liturgy as they should) grow to a fuller spiritual life.

My Personal Application: Do I try to follow the liturgical year intelligently by using a missal at Mass? Have I ever thought of reading one of the many excellent books on the liturgy? Have I ever discussed the liturgy at home? Do I ever dis­cuss the Sunday Gospel or Epistle with anyone?

I Speak to God: Lord, help me see how each Mass can be a special steppingstone to you.

Thought for Today: Closer to Christ through the liturgy.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: