Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 14, My Choice of Vocation

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To prepare for my place in the world.

The Idea: Do I catch myself day-dreaming, imagining myself as a great doctor, the mother of an outstanding Catholic family, an electronics wizard, a famed soldier, an knowledgable professor? I should! What am I going to be (or what have I become)? Yet, though dreaming is pleasant, only choosing gets things done.

Did I ever make a choice? Sure, I choose a Coke instead of an orange; I do some chore rather than play some game; I study my Catechism instead of watching TV. Dreaming is easy; but choosing is hard. In choosing I must always deny myself. With a dollar I can't have a Hershey bar and a soda; to keep one I must give up the other. And some choices have eternal value, such as choosing to make a success of my life rather than a failure.

What shall I be? Remember, if I don't make any decision, I am really still choosing -I am choosing to drift.

My Personal Application: Can I make a decision and stick to it reasonably? What decisions did I have to make yesterday? My ability to make and stick to good choices today will enable me later to make and keep the choice of my life's work.

I Speak to Christ: Lord, you knew that your decision to defy the Pharisees and stick to your principles would mean loss of friends - and death on the cross. Only with your aid can I choose the right vocation. The least I can do is to make the right choices in what I meet today.

Thought for Today: I'll try to choose things today as I think Christ would choose.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: