Saturday, March 17, 2007

Mental Prayer for Laetare Sunday-Fourth Sunday of Lent

The Passion of Christ-Its Meaning

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, grant me the grace to under­stand more deeply the meaning of the Passion so that I may share your sorrow, appreciate your love, and return it more generously.

The Idea: In the upper room, with the twelve Apostles gathered around Him, Jesus is saying, "Arise, let us go from here." He is going to the Garden of Olives to begin His passion. As I watch Christ deliberately make His way to the Garden, let me consider some facts about the Passion.

Our Lord was God. He had raised the dead to life, silenced the raging sea with a word. No one could make Him do or suffer anything He didn't want to. Anything He would suffer He would do because He willed to suffer it. Again, as God, His every act had infinite value. He could have offered the tiniest act to satisfy fully for all the sins of the world - a drop of blood, a sigh would have been enough and more - infinite, in fact. Yet the Father had willed that He repair for our sins, for my sins, by suffering the Passion. He does this out of obedience to the Father, and out of His excessive love for us - not because He had to, but because He wanted to - for us, for me.

My Personal Application: Compare my generosity and Christ's. Spend some time on this comparison. What have I done for Christ? What am I doing for Christ? What shall I do for Christ?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, how you loved me! How much I ought to love you in return. I am sorry for having offended you. You have given your all for me - and I, what have I done for you?

Thought for Today: "He loved me, and He delivered Himself up for me."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: