Monday, April 16, 2007

Mental Prayer for April 17-On Reading

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, to develop myself as I should by reading.

The Idea: Have you met George yet? He's just a pup now, but by your feeding him he will become a strong, welt-trained hunting dog. S-T-R-E-T-C-H your imagination a little. George stands for your mind. You must develop it, feed it well. Let's look at George's diet.

Do I feed him at all? That pup will never grow up by nibbling scraps of garbage and nothing more. He needs daily food. Do I do some reading?

Do I feed him only trivial things? George will never grow up on pie, cakes, soda, chips, and candy. Do I ever go beyond TV and movies?

Do I ever poison him? What do you think of a master who poisons his dog? Do I ever poison my mind with bad reading... suggestive scenes, pictures, cartoons?

Do I give him the substantials? You know - the regular fare, so much each day. Do I read what I am supposed to read, and try to digest it - make it my own? And give George a little steak too! Treat your mind to a a really good book, a great author, something you don't have to read. For real strength, George also needs vitamins. Do you nourish your mind with good religious reading... a book, a pamphlet, magazines?

There he is. George is yours. You take care of the pup. He will develop slowly... if you feed him well. If not, he will turn tail and run when you hunt souls.

I Speak to God: Lord, help me honestly to check­up and improve my reading. My mind is impor­tant to me, and to my apostolate.

Thought for Today: I'll begin some spiritual read­ing... continue tomorrow... and the next day too!
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: