Saturday, April 21, 2007

Mental Prayer for April 22 - Growing through Good Works

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me see how good works make me a better member of your Mystical Body.

The Idea: We strengthen our muscles by exercise. We learn how to work a problem by working it. We learn how to keep house by prac­tice. We learn to swim by swimming. We learn to live the Christ-life by living it. And by living it we increase it in our souls. My duty as a member of the Mystical Body is to see to it that I am a healthy, smooth-working, cooperative part so that the whole body is not lamed because of me. But what work shall I do? I've meditated on it many and many a time. Basically the question is: what is my vocation? I contribute to the health and vitality of the Mystical Christ by living out my vocation in life as perfectly as I can. Perhaps I have not yet decided what my permanent vocation in life shall be. But even my present duties are an important part of the Mystical Body. If I am doing the work that I should be doing as a student, as a worker uniting my efforts to those of the whole Body...if I am helping my neighbor when I can and should...if I am trying to show forth Christ in my life, then I am doing "good works" and growing in grace, strengthening Christ's life in me.

My Personal Application: Am I a useful member of the Mystical Body of Christ? Am I willing to do what Christ the Head of the Mystical Body wants me to do? Am I thinking of my vocation in life in terms of service to Christ and my fellowmen?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, never let me be a lame and useless member disfiguring your Mystical Body.

Thought for Today: I am Christ to the men of my times.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: