Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mental Prayer for April 18, New Birth Into a New Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me realize better what baptism has meant for me and what it can mean for others.

The Idea: How did I get this wonderful life of sanctifying grace, this life that brings hope to life? Did I eat something that gave it to me? Did I work for it, find it, ask for it? Was I born with it? How did I get it? God gave it to me as a free gift. When? At baptism, when the priest poured water on my head and said, "I baptize thee in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." At that moment I was reborn. I had a new life, the life of sanctifying grace, the life that Christ brought to me through His life and death. A moment before I was dead, dead with original sin. Afterwards I was a new person, a member of the Mystical Body of Christ, an adopted son of God, a sharer in the life of the Holy Trinity.

My Personal Application: Do I ever stop and think about my new life - how precious it is, how important it is that I take care of it by trying
to live ever more closely united with its source, Christ? Do I ever stop to think how much that new life would mean to the lives of so many, many of my fellowmen? Have I ever stopped to think that some of these men might get this life only if they are led to it by seeing Christ in me?

I Speak to God: Lord, never let me stop thinking that I must be another Christ - for my own sake and for the sake of my fellowmen.

Thought for Today: I am Christ to the men of my times.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: