Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Priest at Prayer, April 30

The Priest and the Eternal Truths
Mortal Sin in the Priest

Third Meditation

Special Malice of Sin in the Priest


I. "Such a transgression, if it be committed by the high-priest then in office, brings guilt upon the whole people, and he must make amends for it by
offering to the Lord a young bullock without blemish." (Lev. 4:3)

"Or perhaps the whole people of Israel has been betrayed into a fault, transgressing the Lord's com­mand unwittingly. If so, when they find out their error, they will bring a young bullock to the taber­nacle door in amends." (Lev. 4:13)

The thought-provoking thing about this divine ordi­nance in the Old Testament is, that God requires the same expiation for the transgression of one priest as for that of the whole people; in the divine Balance a priest's sin weighs as heavy as the sin of an entire nation. Such is the divine Assessment!

You may object that the above text refers to trans­gressions committed unwittingly, not to sins in the strict sense of the word. Quite so. But does not the argument gather far greater force when it comes to conscious and grievous faults on the part of the priest of the New Law? Is there a single sin in me that does not in some way or other "betray" my people into sin? Does not every sin either deprive me of grace, or at least render me less capable of cooperating worthily in the sanctifi­cation and salvation of souls?

II. Why should my transgressions be tantamount to those
of a whole people?

Because for the people - and people means the laity in general - every allowance must be made: the necessity of being in the midst of worldly affairs which by their very nature are full of pitfalls; ignorance, through lack of time for serious application to the study of the eternal truths; inadvertence to realities so distant and so differ­ent, it would appear, from the daily tenor of their lives; human weakness, reluctant to take the spiritual remedies Christ has established for its healing.

Can I adduce similar excuses for myself? My one business and occupation should be to save souls, my own soul and others as well; and should there be ignorance on my part, my guilt would be twice as great:
labia sacerdotis custodient scientiam et legem requirent ex ore ejus. (Malachy 2:7)
"No utterance like a priest's for learning; from no other lips men will expect true guidance."

True it is, I am naturally weak, like any other child of Adam, and perhaps weaker at times; but I am by my very office constrained to be in continual touch with the divine sources of all energy: prayer and the Sacraments. If I fail to find therein strength and victory, canst Thou not say to me, O Lord, in the lament of Thy prophet: Quae utilitas in sanguine mea? (Ps. 29:10)

III. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them. (John 20:23) And shall I yield to sin? I to whom Christ has given His own tremendous power to forgive?

Shall I commit sin, I who have been raised from servant to steward and guardian of His House and Domain? The words of the loyal and chaste Joseph well befit my lips:
"My Master entrusts everything to my cause, and keeps no count of His belongings; there is nothing of his but I, by his appointment, have the keeping of it." (Gen. 39:8, 9)

What a treacherous abuse of confidence if I should offend the Divine Prisoner who has put Himself in my hands, chained as He is by the Sacramental species!

I, who, in the last resort, am but another Christ­ - alter Christus - shall I make my sins appear as coming from Him? Shall I put Him to the blush for my own misdeeds?

"Priests, that despise my law, violate my sanctuary. . . am I not defiled by their company?" (Ezech. 22:26)
Lord! Lord!. . . If from anybody Thou hadst a right to expect everlasting fidelity and love, it was surely from me; no, not guile, not villainous treason, not a bartering with Thy Person and Thy Law, after the manner of Judas. . . or for even less!

Resolution
With God's assistance and blessing I will never sin; I will flee from sin as from the fangs of a serpent; but if any day I should allow myself to be ensnared, by Thy grace, O God, do for me what Thy Apostle enjoins on those who gave vent to anger against their brethren:
Sol non occidat super iracundiam vestram! (Eph. 4:26) The sunset must not find Thee still angry; Thou must forgive me in answer to repentance and confession
before the day is ended!
_________________________
Adapted from The Priest at Prayer
by Fr. Eugenio Escribano, C.M. (© 1954)
Translated by B.T. Buckley, C.M.


###
Please pray for our priests and pray for vocations to the priesthood!

No comments: