Saturday, December 01, 2007

Just for Today, December 2

Then wilt thou rejoice more that thou hast kept silence, than that thou hast made long discourses, or talked much.
- Bk. I, ch. xxiv.
____________________

Some time after she came to Carmel she was appoint­ed aid to Sœur Agnes de Jesus, her beloved "Pauline", in the refectory. Knowing that unnecessary speaking was forbidden, she never once allowed herself to say any­thing intimate.

"Oh! little Mother, how much I went through at that time!" she said later. "I could not tell you what was in my heart, and I thought you no longer knew me."After five years of this heroic silence, Sreur Agnes was elected Prioress. On the evening of the election "little Therese's" heart must have beat with joy at the thought of at length being able to speak freely to her "little Mother", and pour out her soul to her as of old. However, God so permitted that she saw less than any of the nuns of the Prioress.

- H.
__________________
For a List of Abbreviations, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: