Monday, January 14, 2008

Just for Today, January 15

Oh! how humbly and lowly ought I to think of my­self: how little ought I to esteem whatever good I may seem to have. Oh! how low ought I to cast myself down under the bottomless depths of Thy judgements, O Lord: where I find myself to be nothing else than nothing!
Where, then, can there be any reason for glorying in myself? where, any confidence in any conceit of my own virtue? All vainglory is swallowed up in the depth of Thy judgements over me.
-Bk. III, ch. xiv.
________________

How good God is to have given wings to my soul and lifted it up! I am not afraid of the hunter's net, for a net is spread in vain before the eyes of them that have wings (Prov. i, 17). It may be that later on this present time will seem to fall short in many ways, but nothing surprises me any longer, and I do not grieve at the sight of my weakness. On the contrary, I glory in it, and ex­pect to go on finding fresh imperfections in myself. The light to see my own nothingness is more help to me than understanding the mysteries of faith.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: