Monday, January 28, 2008

Just for Today, January 29

This is that truth by which all vainglory is put to flight. If heavenly grace and true charity come in, there shall be no envy or narrowness of heart, nor shall self­love keep its hold. For divine charity overcomes all, and dilates all the powers of the soul.
-Bk. III, ch. ix.
_________________

When in the Old Law God commanded His people to love their neighbour as themselves, He had not yet come down upon earth, and considering how strong self-love is, He could not have asked more. But when Christ gave His new commandment to the Apostles, He required them not merely to love their neighbour as themselves, but as He loved him, unto the end.

O Jesus! I know that Thou canst not command any­thing impossible; Thou knowest my weakness and imperfection better than I do, and that I could never succeed in loving my Sisters as Thou hast done, unless Thou, my divine Saviour, dost continue to love them in me. In giving this new commandment, Thou didst intend to grant me this grace, and it is dear to me be­cause I have the assurance that Thou wilt Thyself love in me those whom I am bidden to love.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: