Saturday, February 02, 2008

Just for Today, February 3

Nature covets to know secrets and to hear news; but grace cares not for the hearing of news and curious things, because all this springs from the old corruption, since nothing is new or lasting upon earth. She teaches therefore to restrain the senses.
-Bk. III, ch. liv.
___________________

One day she gave me a striking proof of her interior mortification. I had received a very interesting letter, which had been read at recreation in her absence. That evening she asked if she might read it, so I gave it to her. When she returned it, I asked her opinion on a subject which must have given her much pleasure, but she appeared embarrassed, and then admitted:
"Our Lord asked this sacrifice from me because of the undue eagerness I showed the other day, and so I did not read it."
-Conseils et Souvenirs
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: