Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Just for Today, February 21

Yet this man, thus many ways afflicted, is not without some alloy of comfort for his ease, because he is sensible of the great profit which he reaps by bearing the cross. For while he willingly resigns himself to it, all the burden of tribulation is converted into an assured hope of comfort from God.

And the more the flesh is brought down by affliction, the more the spirit is strengthened by inward grace. And sometimes he gains such strength through affection to tribulation and adversity, by reason of loving to be conformable to the Cross of Christ, as not to be willing to be without suffering and affliction; because such a one believes himself by so much the more acceptable to God, as he shall be able to bear more and greater things for Him.
-Bk. II, ch. xii.
___________________

When I was in the world, I used, on awaking, to think of the happenings, pleasant and unpleasant, that the day held in store. If I foresaw trouble, I began the day with a heavy heart. Now it is quite the contrary; the prospect of difficulties and suffering fills me with courage, and I look forward with joy to the many opportunities I shall have of proving my love for Our Lord and of saving souls, for am I not a mother of souls? So I kiss my crucifix and lay it gently on the pillow whilst I am dressing, saying: My Jesus, You wept and laboured for thirty-three years upon earth. Today You must rest...it is my turn to fight and to suffer.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: