Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Meditation for February 20, I Am Not of the World

I pray not for the world, but for them whom Thou hast given me; because they are Thine....They are not of the world as I also am not of the world. (John xviii.)

To be separated from the world is a great mark of Divine pref­erence. Do I sufficiently appreciate my good fortune, or do I oc­casionally feel a slight regret for the world I have left after con­versations, visits with relatives or friends, or after reading a book. Regret not for worldly pleasures of too easy and exhilarating a life, but regret rather for certain sweet joys, good in themselves, but which I have resolved to forego that I may belong solely to God.

To be brief, I belong to God. In speaking of His disciples, Our Lord said to the Father, those whom You have given me are Yours.

Ponder over this expression: to belong to God. Try to grasp its full import.

Look at Our Lord. Is He not our Model? They are not of this world, as I am not of this world.

How cheap He holds all to which the world clings, ease, glory, excitement, jealous guarding of one's reputation, anxious search for honor, unconscious hypocrisies, lack of insight into true values, exaggerated esteem for things of no account, decided want of ap­preciation for that which alone is of merit.

"Lord Jesus, at the foot of the Cross, I beg You, do not permit me to be tainted by the spirit of the world. If for any reason whatsoever I must come in contact with the world, may it be for me an opportunity to transform the world, and not an opportunity for it to weaken my spirit. I belong to God."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: