Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Just for Today, March 13

Esteem not thyself better than others, lest perhaps thou be accounted worse in the sight of God, who knows what is in man. Be not proud of thy own works, for the judgements of God are different from the judgements of men; and oftentimes that displeaseth Him, which pleaseth men.

If thou hast anything of good, believe better things of others that thou mayest preserve humility. It will do thee no harm to esteem thyself the worst of all; but it will hurt thee very much to prefer thyself before anyone. Continual peace is with the humble; but in the heart of the proud is frequent envy and indignation.
-Bk. I, ch. vii.
_______________

When I am charitable, I feel that it is Our Lord acting in me; the more closely I am united to Him, the more I love all my Sisters. If I want my love to grow, and the devil brings before my eyes the defects of any particular Sister, I hasten to seek out her virtues and good intentions. If I see her fall into any fault, I say to myself that she may have won many victories which she hides out of humility, and that what seems to me a fault may even be an act of virtue, because of her intention. Having learnt that by experience myself, I do not find it difficult to be persuaded.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: