Friday, March 14, 2008

Just for Today, March 15

If thou wouldst know and learn anything to the pur­pose, love to be unknown, and esteemed as nothing.
-Bk. I, ch. ii.
________________

My little Mother taught me what unsuspected treasures lie hidden in the Holy Face. Just as she had entered Carmel before her three sisters, so was she the first to discover the mystery of love hidden in the sacred Face of the Bridegroom. When she had revealed it to me, I understood where true glory is to be found. He whose Kingdom is not of this world taught me that the only royal dignity worthy of our ambition is to love to be unknown and esteemed as nothing, and that we should gladly despise ourselves. I wished that like His, my face might be as it were hidden and despised, whereupon we esteemed him not (Is. liii). I longed to suffer and be for­gotten.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: