Sunday, March 09, 2008

Meditation for March 10, Jesus Is Spat Upon

If only that were all! But no!

Isaias in describing the action of the soldiers during the Passion puts on the lips of Jesus these words: I have given my body to the strikers, and my cheeks to them that pluck them; I have not turned away my face from them that rebuke me, and spit upon me. (Isaias 50,6.) The act of spitting, "this blasphemous kiss," as someone has said, is the most repellent expression of scorn and disgust; to endure it all silently, that is complete abnegation, absolute abandonment.

A few hours ago in the garden, Jesus spoke three little words, "I am He," and all fell to the ground on their faces. These tor­mentors deserved to have their faces in dust and mud, but that the face of Jesus be spattered with the filthy spittle of a drunken good­-for-nothing!

He did not turn away His face.... But when He receives full in the face the insults of men, the very ones He loved most, His chosen ones, when He is besmirched by my own spittle, isn't it true that He ought to turn away His face? Truly, it is too much. And I hear Him murmur, "Ought I to expect that? How my fondest hopes have been shattered!"

"No, my Savior, in spite of my misery, or rather on account of my misery, do not turn away Your Face. Give me a soul like in spirit to Veronica's, that I may wipe away all the spittle from Your adorable Face."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: