Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just for Today, April 21

Let the Jews seek the glory which one man receives from another; I will seek that which is from God alone. All human glory, all temporal honour, all worldly grandeur, compared to Thy eternal glory is but vanity and foolishness.

O my truth and mercy, my God, O blessed Trinity! to Thee alone be all praise, honour, power and glory, for ever and ever.

-Bk. III, ch. xl.

If I humble myself, and acknowledge my own nothingness, and cast away all manner of esteem of my­self, and (as I really am) account myself to be mere dust, Thy grace will be favourable to me and Thy light will draw nigh to my heart.

-Bk. III, ch. viii.
__________________

This is the dream of a grain of sand: Only Jesus...and He alone! A grain of sand is so small that there is no room in its heart for anyone else in addition. What happiness it would be to live hidden, unnoticed even by those with whom we live! Oh, my little Mother! I long to be ignored by all creatures. I have never desired human glory, but rather contempt; yet seeing that even this is too great for me, I only wish to be forgotten.

My only ambition is Our Lord's glory; as to mine, I leave it to Him. If He seems to forget me, He is free to do so, as I no longer belong to myself but to Him. He will tire of keeping me waiting before I tire of waiting for Him.

-Letters.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: