Thursday, April 24, 2008

Meditation for April 25, Good Luck Charms

In the world some people, in order to be lucky, practice a sort of superstitious magic. Like savages who confide in the charms of sorcerers, they imagine that a doll hung in the window of their automobile will protect them. Others confidently look to the figure 13 cut out of metal, or an ivory elephant.

Pagans, and what is more, fools!

Merchants are cognizant of this desire on the part of all to feel themselves immune from harm and to attach the power of protec­tion to an object or a flower....On the first of May, the flower girl suggests to the passerby: "Buy my forget-me-nots and you will have good luck." Half through charity toward the flower girl, and half through the desire to flatter fate, many buy....

Good fortune! I, too, long for it. Where can I find it and how can I keep it?

Where can I find it? I know very well - in absolute fidelity to my Rule; happiness is synonymous with generosity.

How am I to preserve it? By mortification, prayer, confidence in my superiors, and love of my vocation.

If I must have some object to help me remember what can bring and preserve perfect happiness, I need only to look at my crucifix, my book of Rules and my rosary, the three objects I received at my clothing or profession. These are my good luck charms.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: