Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meditation for April 24, On Utilizing Opportunities

I have often dreamed of living a great life. This is commendable! But do I imagine that a great life consists in doing great things? If such were the case, how few would realize their desire!

The reality is much more simple. I must utilize the opportuni­ties for generosity that I meet with in the life in which God has placed me - in my community, and the duties of my state.

Not that I must be like a spider in his web, ready to pounce on each insect that knocks against the mesh; God does not ask me to jump at each opportunity for victory, at every sacrifice that pre­sents itself. The soul would lose its peace; this perpetual tension would tend only to enervate the soul, and after some time, render it powerless from too sustained an effort.

What God asks is that I keep in my heart the ardent desire never to refuse anything. That done, I must go on without being pre­occupied as to what occasion to conquer self or to prove my love may arise sooner or later. If, however, the occasion does offer itself and it seems clear that I can and ought to take advantage of it­ - that God really asks it - then I must exert myself to the utmost to utilize the opportunity.

I see the difference between the tense, strained state of feverish suspense, and a calm and serene peace. An opportunity for prac­ticing virtue presents itself, evidently an act which is not already a command; God would like me to do it, that is clear. Then I will do it! This constitutes a virile, generous manner of acting which leaves the heart free and the spirit at ease. I must strive in this way to utilize my spiritual opportunities. Generosity brings with it serenity.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: