Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just for Today, June 18

If thou wilt be borne withal, bear also with another. See how far thou art yet from true charity and humilitY, which knows not how to be angry with anyone, or to have indignation about anyone but one's self.

-Bk. II, ch. iii.
___________________

I did not always find it sweet and easy to practise charity, and I will tell you one of the many struggles I have had on that score. For a long time I had a neighbor during prayer who did nothing but rattle her rosary, or make some other slight noise the whole time. I may have been the only one to notice it; as I have very keen hearing, but I cannot tell you how tiring I found it. I felt tempted to turn my head and look at the culprit to make her keep still; but I knew in my heart that it would be much better to endure patiently for the love of God, and at the same time avoid hurting another's feelings. Therefore I did not move, although sometimes bathed in perspiration, and unable to make anything but a prayer of' endurance. I wanted to suffer peacefully and joyfully, at least in my inmost soul, and so tried to enjoy this tiresome little noise. Instead of ignoring it - which was impossible - I listened attentively, as though it were a beautiful concert, and my prayer, which was far from being the prayer of quiet, consisted in offering this concert to Our Lord.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: