Sunday, September 07, 2008

Just for Today, September 8

Let My promise strengthen thee and comfort thee in all events. Peace shall come in one day, which is known to the Lord: and it shall not be a vicissitude of day and night, such as is at present; but everlasting light, infinite brightness, steadfast peace, and secure rest. For death shall be no more, but never-failing health: no anxiety, but blessed delight, and a society sweet and lovely.
Lift up therefore thy face to heaven.
-Bk. III, ch. xlvii.
_________________

Our Lady's birthday! What a beautiful feast on which to become the bride of Christ, baby Mary a day old presenting His little flower to little Jesus! On that day everything was little except the graces I received, and the peace and joy I felt when evening came and I gazed up at the starry heavens, where I would soon be united to my divine Bridegroom in everlasting happiness.

From the time I awoke in the morning I was filled with peace, and it was in the peace of God which surpass­eth all understanding (Phil. iv, 7) that I pronounced my holy vows. At the close of this beautiful day I laid my wreath, as is the custom, at Our Lady's feet without any feeling of sadness, for I felt that time would not lessen my happiness.

O Jesus, I only ask Thee to give me peace!...Peace, and above all a love that knews no bounds.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: