Monday, September 08, 2008

Just for Today, September 9

The world promises things temporal and of small value, and is served with great eagerness; I promise things most excellent and everlasting, and men's hearts are not moved! Be thou ashamed, O Sidon, saith the sea.

Alas! for an unchangeable good, for an inestimable reward, for the highest honours and never-ending glory, they are unwilling to take the least pains. Be ashamed, then, thou slothful servant!
-Bk. III, ch. iii.
_______________

A week after I received the veil, our cousin Jeanne Guerin was married to Dr. La Neele. When she next came to the parlour and spoke of the affectionate con­sideration she showed her husband, my heart was moved, and I thought: It shall not be said that a woman of the world does more for her husband, a mere mortal, than I do for my beloved Lord!

I was filled with fresh fervour, and tried more than ever in all I did to please my heavenly Bridegroom, the King of kings, who has deigned to make me His bride.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: