Saturday, October 04, 2008

Just for Today, October 5

God has so disposed things, that we may learn to bear one another's burdens; for there is no man without defect; no man without his burden; no man sufficient for himself; no man wise enough for himself; but we must support one another, comfort one another, assist, instruct, and admonish one another.
-Bk. I, ch. xvi.
_____________

Imperfect souls are usually left alone; one keeps within the bounds of religious politeness, but one avoids their company from fear of offending them. When I speak of imperfect souls, I do not mean spiritual imper­fections - for even the holiest will not be perfect until they reach Heaven - I am referring to lack of judgement or education, to the touchiness of certain characters, all those things which make life so unpleasant for others.

I know that these defects are incurable, but if I were ill for years, my Mother would not for that reason give up nursing me. I have therefore come to this conclusion: I ought to seek the company of those Sisters who please me least, and be a good Samaritan to them.

Very often a kind look or a smile is all that is needed to cheer one who is sore and sad at heart. I must not, however, do this simply out of a desire to console others, for I would soon get discouraged, as a word said with the best intentions can so easily be taken up wrongly.

I will try to do it solely to please Our Lord and obey His injunc­tion in the Gospel: When thou makest a dinner, call not thy friends, nor thy kinsmen, nor thy neighbours who are rich; lest perhaps they also invite thee again, and a re­compense be made to thee.

But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, and the blind; and thou shalt be blessed, because they have not wherewith to make thee recompense: for recompense shall be made thee at the resurrection of the
just
(Luke xiv, 12-14).

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: