Thursday, March 24, 2005

Eucharistic Whisperings for Holy Thursday

O Jesus, Deo gratias!

You have been the Light of my life. You illumined childhood's days for me with a light of a dawning Faith; afterwards You threw open the floodgates of Your love, and torrents of light inundated my innermost being. And even to the brink of the grave shall follow me that hallowed light of this Sun that never sets.

Was there ever a day, ever an hour, when You did not shower Your saving benefits upon me? If I have always been Yours, if I have believed in You, hoped in You, loved You - I have only done so through You. Your goodness protected me; yes, that same goodness that makes You a prisoner of love in the Blessed Sacrament....for me.

My poor soul has met with many a bitter hour of trial, with many a sore disappointment; it has bled beneath many a bolt of agony, and many a shaft of sorrow; but You have been its comfort, its stay. At my cry for help, in my anguish of heart, in my dire need, Your love gave me a ready answer.

A thousand times did I seek You in the oppressive darkness of spiritual aridity, groping about, for I had lost my way; and a thousand times I found You....always in Your place in the tabernacle. You alone knew how to speak to me when my complaints here on earth found no responsive echo of sympathy, no understanding.

Deo gratias, O Jesus!

Adapted from Eucharistic Whisperings, Winfrid Herbst,SDS,
The Society of the Divine Saviour, 1929

No comments: