Monday, October 02, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 3-Serving God, the Way to Heaven

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me to make the service of God the practical purpose of every day.

The Idea: Heaven is my goal in life. I want it more than anything else. But how do I get to God?

In this life there is but one superhighway that goes to God. And God has clearly marked for all to see in huge letters the name of this highway: THE SERVICE OF GOD.

If I want to reach the happiness of heaven, this way alone leads me there. And so if I'm at all intelligent, serving God or doing His will must become the chief purpose of every day of my life, of every action of my day.

My Personal Application: Do I realize that doing God's will or serving Him is the practical goal of every day?... that it's the way God points out? Where is God's will for me? How about the Commandments?... my state of life now as son or daughter, father or mother?... the sufferings God sends me? I can take other highways - six lanes with glorious scenery - but they won't lead me to God. If I miss His high road and travel any other, I've wasted my life; I've doomed myself to unhappi­ness forever. Serving God alone brings real happiness and the sense of daily success.

I Speak to God: Lord, I see that there is only one sure way to you and that is to serve you and do your will. I want to do your will. I owe it to you who created me and who are my master. Help me to obey your will. Help me avoid the things you forbid. Lord, never let me take a wrong turn and go into a blind alley. I want you.

Thought for Today: Lord, all else is vanity but to serve and love you.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: