Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 9-Studies

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: My God, teach me to understand the place of studies in my life.

The Idea: All of us spend many years in school with English, math, physics, etc. What have these to do with my becoming holy? God has given each one of us a mind, but one which varies with each person. According to his ability the individual must use his mind as a means to find God. His mind is a creature, and the man who correctly uses his education does not work just to be thought smart, to have other people tell him how bright he is, to be able later on to make a lot of money. No, he uses his studies and education to develop his mind so that he will be able to understand the problems of his own life, to find the solution to these problems, to understand the proper values of money, pleasure, honor, etc.

My Personal Application: Am I studying or have I studied just to be thought wise, just to make a name for myself, to make money, or for any other reason like these! If I am, then my actions are not bringing me much closer to God. If I am studying to develop my mind so that I will be a better man, a man seeking God in every aspect of his life, then I am using studies correctly.

I Speak to God: Help me to use my mind as a spring to holiness. My studies can help me to understand people and things so I can know you, can help others. My mind, like all of your creatures, my God, can bring me and others closer to you.

Thought for Today: I will continue to develop and use my mind and intellect to help me to be holy.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: