Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 26, The Sister and Her Work

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, let me see into a sister's heart as she works for others. so that I can see the opportunity I have to serve you.

The Idea: In China an American newspaper­woman once watched a missionary sister cleaning the festering sores of wounded soldiers. "I wouldn't do that for a million dollars!" the visitor remarked. Without a moment's pause the sister replied, "Neither would I."... It isn't often that we can see so clearly into the heart of a sister, but we can sometimes get a glimpse; the sister cheer­fully scrubbing floors, the sister patiently teaching a class of spirited high-schoolers, the sister quietly helping a little orphan boy say his night prayers. All over the world American sisters*(see note) are doing many, many things to help their fellow men to know God. They are working not for money or pleasure or fame, but to bring God's love to men and men to God.

My Personal Application: Have I really tried to appreciate how much sisters have meant in my life and in the lives of American Catholics? Have I ever thought of the tremendous need there is for more and more sisters to do God's work both at home and abroad? Have I looked at this need as a wonderful opportunity for me to show my love for God by helping others to know Him. Can I be a sister? Can I help others by my appreciation and knowledge of their life?

I Speak to God: Lord, if I am honest, there is not much I would not do for a million dollars. And yet, though I know I can do things for you, I actually do so little. Maybe it is because you seem so far away. Pour your presence into my mind so I realize how close you are. Change my values and change my heart so I see that a life like a sister's has advantages all its own for me and for my fellow men.

Thought for Today: "Everyone who loves is of God; for God is love."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)


* Note: This was printed in the mid to late 1950s and much has occurred since the close of the Second Vatican Council and the overwhelming secularization of the U.S. since the 60s and 70s...While there are increases in vocations to the consecrated life for those orders which have remained faithful to Christ and have held fast to their missions, far too many orders are at death's door, having abandoned their habits, their missions, and their love of the Church.

No comments: