Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 28, Single Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Christ, help me see how doing the duties of my state in life can help me toward sanctity.

The Idea: Everyone knows Catholic men and women who are neither married nor priests or religious. Although single they do not enter the priesthood or religious life. Their life centers around their work: teaching, nursing, being a clerk or office helper, or working quietly around the house of a relative. Their work is their life. It absorbs their interest. It makes demands on their time and energy. Through it they do a vast amount of good. Interest in and devotion to it serve to give them the spiritual inspiration that marriage or the religious or priestly life gives to other Catholics.

My Personal Application: A young person should seek serious advice before deliberately choosing to remain single without the helps of organized religious life. But it may be that God calls me to this kind of life. Have I ever considered it? Have I ever considered how much I could do for others in this way, especially if I were leading a deeply spiritual life? Have I ever heard about
"secular (lay) institutes"? They might be just the life for me if I am considering the single state.

I Speak to God: Lord, even though I may not choose this state in life, there are two things I can learn from it: (1) a great respect for those who do choose it and (2) the great importance work has for my sanctification and for the good of my neighbor.

Thought for Today: To work is to pray.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: