Monday, March 26, 2007

Mental Prayer for Tuesday after the Fifth Sunday of Lent

The Carrying of the Cross

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Strength to face the daily trial which causes me the most difficulty.

Mental Picture (cf. John 19:17): The heavy cross is laid on Jesus' shoulder. Already He is weakened by loss of blood. He is blinded by the crimson streams of blood which flow down His thorn-­crowned head. His back... His sides... quiver with pain from the mad scourging. His soul is crushed by the jeers... the taunts... the mockery of the people He loves. Each step is an agony as He moves slowly toward Calvary. He slips and falls... is covered with the mud and slime of the filthy street. The soldiers crowd around... with brutal kicks and stinging lashes they drive Him to His feet again. Christ struggles on... tries in vain to wipe the caked blood and filth from His eyes. But there is no sympathy. The angry mob crowds around... shouting and scream­ing more insults. His head is spinning, dazed with the throbbing pain.

My Personal Application: Why is this scene taking place? Could Jesus have made more evident the evil of sin? All my life I will have to face sin. Often, perhaps, it will appear most attractive. If I reject what is wrong and take my stand with Christ, the world may persecute me as it did Him. The world will give me a cross to carry. Will I have the courage to take up my cross and carry it as He did?

I Speak to Christ: O my Lord, at last you have come to the road to Calvary. At last the cross you have waited for all these years is on your shoulders. May your willingness give me the strength to overcome my unwillingness to carry my cross.

Thought for Today: Body of Christ, save me.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: