Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tabernacle Stolen from NC Catholic Church

A tabernacle from St. Ann Catholic Church is missing.

The 18-inch golden box used to store the Eucharist was stolen sometime between 4 p.m. Sunday and noon Monday, said the Rev. Tom Malloy.
. . .
“Whoever took it was either very very desperate or very very stupid,” Malloy said. “It’s not something that you can really pawn.”

But that won't keep people from trying. And what happened to our Lord?
The story about this theft can be read here. And speaking of tabernacles...

A couple of years ago while checking out the local flea market, an object caught my eye - and I'm sure that I did the classic double-take, I was so surprised. And I hope I haven't related this before.

I walked over to a folding table which supported, somehow, a rather impressive tabernacle, about 18-20 inches tall and deep, and about 15-16 inches wide, with double doors (2 sets) - and - the keys were with it. And this tabernacle weighed about 100 pounds or more, or so it seemed. It was h e a v y!



A young boy came up to me as I was looking it over and said that it was a 'Catholic sacrament holder.' "Oh, really," I said to him, "how much is this?"

The price being asked was a bit more money than I had with me at the time so I got the name and phone number of the man who was selling. I was determined to remove this sacred object from the realm of the flea market, which I was able to do later.

No comments: