Monday, November 19, 2007

Just for Today, November 20

Thou knowest, O Lord, what is best; do with me as Thou knowest, and as best pleaseth Thee, and is most for Thy honour.
Put me where Thou wilt, and do with me in all things according to Thy will. I am in Thy hand, turn me round which way Thou wilt.
- Bk. III, ch. xv.

For some time past I had offered myself to the Child Jesus to be His little plaything. I asked Him not to treat me like an expensive toy, that children look at but scarcely dare to touch, but like a cheap ball that He could throw on the ground, kick, pierce, leave in the comer, or press to His Heart if He pleased. I wanted to amuse the Child Jesus and give myself up to His childish fancies.
In Rome He heard my prayer, for He pierced His ball...no doubt to see what was in it...and then, pleased with His discovery, let the ball drop and fell asleep. What was He doing in His sleep, and what became of the forgotten toy?
Jesus dreamt that He was still playing; that He took up the ball, and then let it drop; that He threw it far away, and at last pressed it to His Heart, never to let it out of His little hand again.
- H.
__________________
For a List of Abbreviations, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: