Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Meditation for November 21, The Presentation of Mary

A little girl offering herself to God at some particular place in the world is nothing especially moving or striking; a child who says her prayer is a pretty picture, but one which is renewed a thousand times in various places, consequently not at all novel.

Yes, but who is this little girl and what is her prayer and her offering?

When we hear that, at about the same age, she who was to be­years of age, was found praying behind heavy curtains and that upon being asked "What are you doing?" she answered "I am thinking," we are deeply moved because the words are rich in meaning and Little Therese has since become a great saint.

When we hear that at about the same age she who was to be­come St. Margaret Mary vowed her virginity to God, again and for similar reasons, we admire the sublimity of an act so unex­pected at such an age.

Little Mary is different again from her humble sisters, Therese and Marguerite. There is a considerable difference between an ordinary Saint and the Queen of all Saints. And her offering to God on the day of her presentation, when she was only about three years old, expresses a love much more intense than that of the little girl of Verosvres or of the little girl of Alencon.

I will live this scene and unite myself to it. I will try to recall the first workings of grace in my soul, quite some time ago; my very first desires to give myself to God. What pristine purity! I was so young but my love was even then very deep. Has it gained or lost since?

Mary, you have grown, but I have remained a child. At least I am justified by my littleness to beg you to make my offering of today pass through your heart. You are willing, aren't you?
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: