Thursday, November 22, 2007

Just for Today, November 23

Oh! how much is the pure love of Jesus able to do, when it is not mixed with any self-interest or self-love! Are not all those to be called hirelings, who are always seeking consolation? Are they not proved to be rather lovers of themselves than of Christ, who are always thinking of their own profit and gain?

Where shall we find a man that is willing to serve God gratis?
- Bk. II, ch. xi.

I do not serve Thee, Lord, for gain,
That were a hireling's way!
Love does not wait with outstretched hand
For payment day by day.
My heart's love is my only wealth,
And this I bring to Thee;
I only ask that to the end
Thy handmaid I may be.
-P.
__________________
For a List of Abbreviations, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: