Friday, November 23, 2007

Just for Today, November 24

I will hear what the Lord God will speak to me (Ps. lxxxiv).

Happy is that soul which heareth the Lord speaking within her, and from His mouth receiveth the word of comfort! Happy ears, which receive the accents of the divine whisper, and take no notice of the whisper­ings of the world. Happy ears, indeed, which hearken to Truth itself teaching within, and not to the voice which soundeth without.
- Bk. III, ch. i.

When I was seventeen and eighteen I found much light in the writings of St John of the Cross, and he was my principal guide, but later on all spiritual writers left me in great dryness of spirit, and do so still. However beautiful and moving a book may be, as soon as I begin to read I am incapable of taking it in, and my heart is troubled; or if I do understand, my mind is unable to meditate further. In this state of helplessness the Scriptures and the Imitation come to my assistance, and in them I find a hidden manna, pure and sustaining.

The Gospel is my chief support in prayer, and I find in it all that my poor little soul needs. I am always finding new light there, and hidden, mysterious mean­ings; I learn by experience that the kingdom of God is within us (Luke xvii, 21). The divine Master has no needs of books or other teachers to do His work; He instructs the soul silently, without words. I have never heard Him, but I know that He is within me, inspiring and prompting me at the moment I need it most. It is not usually at my prayer that I see this new light, but when doing my ordinary work during the day.
-H.
__________________
For a List of Abbreviations, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: