Monday, December 03, 2007

Christmas at Arlington Cemetery

I received an email the other day and after I verified that it was true (snopes.com), I thought I would share it. Some may have heard of it before, but others, like me, never knew that anything like this was taking place.

I had never heard of this -- only visited in the summer months. Funny that the drive-by media has never told this story in 15 years.



Readers may be interested to know that these wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.

Snopes reports, in part:
Morrill Worcester initially brought 4,000 surplus wreaths from the holiday decoration company he owns to adorn gravesites at Arlington in 1992. Every year since then he has set aside several thousand wreaths especially for that purpose, driving to Arlington in December with a trailer full of decorations and dozens of volunteers to distribute them throughout the cemetery...
I find it uplifting and encouraging to read about such efforts.

No comments: