Thursday, December 06, 2007

Meditation for December 7, A Sealed Fountain

The liturgy, using the words of the inspired text, calls the Virgin Mary, garden enclosed, a fountain sealed up, a vessel of pure gold which holds the wealth of our souls, Christ. It is careful to warn us, All the glory of the King's daughter is within.

I will live this day in fervent union with Mary to prepare for her beautiful feast of the Immaculate Conception.

How exquisite was the inner beauty of the Holy Virgin's soul! How can I conceive of that splendor of purity, of humility, of gratitude, of love of God?

Permit me, O Mary, to gaze upon your loveliness. Let me dis­cover, one by one, all those hidden marvels which God never wearies of contemplating. How simple the words of your Mag­nificat seem to me! Yes, truly, the Most High God has done great things in you!

One of your most devoted clients has aptly remarked that your greatest dignity does not consist in having borne Jesus in your womb, but in having possessed, as you did, the fullness of God in your soul. "It is greater," says the Jesuit Nieremberg, "to be the daughter of God by grace than the Mother of God by nature."

Mother of God, you alone were that. But daughter of God­ - isn't my soul that, too, by grace? Am I not also permitted to share this your greatest privilege?

O my soul, glorify the Lord. All the glory of the King's daughter is within. This is true of Mary.. It is true of me. Magnificat! Magnificat!

I am so poor, yet there is within me a whole world of wonders. Magnificat!
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: