Friday, December 07, 2007

Just for Today, December 8

O Lord, teach me to do Thy will, teach me to con­verse worthily and humbly in Thy sight; for Thou art my wisdom, who knowest me in Truth, and didst know me before the world was made, and before I was born in the world.
- Bk. III, ch. ill.

Let Thy will be mine, and let my will always follow Thine, and agree perfectly with it. Let me always will or not will the same with Thee: and let me not be able to will or not will any otherwise than as Thou willest or willest not.
- Bk. III, ch. xv.
______________________

Our Lady's unique privilege was her Immaculate Conception and divine Motherhood, and yet Our Lord tells us that whosoever shall do the will of my Father that is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother (Matt. xii, 15). It is well to speak of Mary's prerogatives but that is not enough, we must make her loved. If a sermon on her only calls forth "ohs!" and "ahs!" of admiration, it ends by being wearisome, and does not draw us to love and imitate her.
- N.V.
__________________
For a List of Abbreviations, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: