Thursday, January 03, 2008

Dr Edward Peters on "Accomodating the Deaf"

To best "accomodate the deaf", let's begin by getting to know them

I am not deaf and I do not presume to speak for them. But, as one with some exposure to certain issues facing deaf Catholics, I think a response to Rev. Edward McNamara's January 1 Zenit post entitled "Accommodating the Deaf" is needed. One "M.D.", a Canadian, had asked Fr. McNamara whether Catholic churches should have American Sign Language and closed-captioning available at Mass and whether deaf people were allowed to enter religious life. I recognize Fr. McNamara's expertise in liturgical matters and applaud his desire to see deaf Catholics accorded their basic rights, but I found his discussion of these matters markedly wanting.
Read the rest at: http://www.canonlaw.info/2008/01/to-best-accomodate-deaf-begin-by.html

No comments: