Friday, January 04, 2008

Just for Today, January 5

Love feels no burden, values no labours, would willingly do more than it can; complains not of im­possibility, because it conceives that it may and can do all things. It is able, therefore, to do anything, and it performs and effects many things, where he that loves not, faints and lies down.
-Bk. III, ch. v.
________________

For the first time in my life I was to pay a visit without my sisters, and the visit was to be to a bishop! I, who never spoke unless someone asked me a question, had now to explain my reasons for wanting to enter Carmel, and show that my vocation was genuine. What it cost me to overcome my shyness! But how true it is that: love complains not of impossibility, because it conceives that it may and can do all things.

Nothing but love of Our Lord could have made me face these difficulties and those that were to follow, for I was to pay dearly for my happiness. Looking back today, the cost seems trifling, and if it had still to be paid I would willingly go through trials a thousand times worse.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: