Sunday, March 23, 2008

Just for Today, March 24

If a man give his whole substance, it is yet nothing. And if he have great virtue, and exceeding devotion, there is still much wanting to him; to wit, one thing, which is chiefly necessary to him. And what is that? That, having left all things else, he leave also himself, and retain nothing of self-love.

-Bk. II, ch. xi.
_________________

The science of love! How sweet those words sound! That is the only science I want to know; having like the Bride of the Canticle given all my substance for love, I shall despise it as nothing (Cant. viii, 7). I am so convinced that our love is the one thing that makes us acceptable to God, that it is the only treasure that I seek after.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: