Sunday, March 23, 2008

Meditation for March 24, Monday After Easter

God's Hidden Presence

God's action within us is frequently hidden and silent. He speaks to us through events in which His presence is not always discernible. It is only when we recall an event of the past, that the situation suddenly clarifies, and we perceive the touch of Provi­dence in what seemed only a trifling circumstance.

However faithful the soul, it is aware only too late of the passing of God. As with the disciples going to Emmaus, Jesus walks at our side, but we fail to recognize Him. Not until later do we realize the great grace that was ours. Sometimes it is true our heart burns within while He is speaking to us, but more often we experience no sensible sign of His Presence.

Are we inattentive? Do we lack discernment?

We must be on the alert and try to recognize the passing of the Lord, so that we can penetrate all His disguises. The Most High often moves among us as a mysterious traveler or an anony­mous visitor. I will always keep the door of my heart ajar and, as every prudent virgin, have my lamp lighted.

"Lord, you know with what burning ardor I seek You. I try to find You in the night of my soul, like a child playing blind-man's buff. I stretch out my arms but my eyes are bound. Grant, that I may never grow tired of seeking You. Grant that I may sometimes find You."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: