Sunday, March 30, 2008

Meditation for March 31, The Present Moment

All my sanctity depends on the present moment - what it is, what I shall make of it, and what the succession of all the present moments to come will be - such will be my eternity, such will be my degree of glory for eternity.

My eternity is spun from each passing moment. Each of these moments, if I so wish it, acquires the ever-increasing value of my union with the Infinite.

What is a passing moment? -Nothing.

What is a passing moment? -A simple tick of the clock, but a tick which stirs the world. Jesus died on the cross in a passing moment. I, in a passing moment, can, by an act of love, save mul­titudes. I can apply to multitudes the benefit of that moment, so like any other moment, that moment in which the Last Sigh con­summated the Redemption.

The air is full of last sighs, but one day - a day like any other day, made up of moments like any other moments - a moment slipped by, one like every other and yet different from every other because in it was breathed out the Consummatum est. Jesus' last moment, and my present moment - may they be united, that is sufficient to attain the salvation of many.

The incomparable power of a single moment!...Of the suc­cession of all single moments!...All are laden with meaning, all are of weighty consequence, all are of momentous import, all are moments of sanctity and of redemption.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: