Friday, April 04, 2008

Just for Today, April 5

I here offer and present to Thee the excessive joys of all devout hearts, their ardent affections, their ecstasies and supernatural illuminations and heavenly visions; together with all the virtues and praises which are or shall be celebrated by all creatures in heaven and earth; for myself and all such as are recommended to my prayers; that by all Thou mayest be worthily praised and glorified for ever.

Receive my wishes, O Lord, my God, and my desires of giving Thee infinite praise and immmense blessings, which, according to the multitude of Thy unspeakable greatness, are most justly due to Thee. These I render, and desire to render Thee every day and every moment; and I invite and entreat all the heavenly spirits and all the faithful, with my prayers and affections, to join with me in giving Thee praises and thanks.

-Bk. IV, ch. xvii.
________________

As for my thanksgiving, at no time do I enjoy less consolation. But that is only to be expected as I receive Our Lord to please Him, not for my own satisfaction. I think of my soul as a piece of waste ground, and ask Our Lady to clear away the heaps of rubbish, which are my imperfections. Then I ask her to set up a tent and adorn it with her own hangings, and I invite all the angels and saints to come and sing hymns of praise. Our Lord seems very pleased with His splendid recep­tion, and this makes me happy, although it does not prevent me from falling asleep or being troubled with distractions, so that I frequently make a resolution to continue my thanksgiving throughout the day, as I have made it so badly in church.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: