Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Meditation for April 3, The Impartiality of Death

Someone wrote on the tombstone of a young person: "Death is not polite, it gives the young precedence over the old."

There is, in fact, no age peculiar to death. The popular com­ment upon a premature death is often: "She is too young to die." Any age is the proper age for dying, hence we have the warning of the Good Master: Hold yourselves in readiness.

When St. Margaret Mary was dying, her companions in religion asked her if anything could be done for her. The saint could only answer, "No, I am ready."

Perhaps I can already count many years to my life and say that my turn cannot be far distant, it may be only a matter of a few weeks, months, or years. Even if I am still young, I cannot count too much on youth, hoping to forestall death by long years of life. It doesn't take much to die.

I must not be immoderately and anxiously preoccupied with the day or the hour of my death, that will come when God wills it. He knows that I love Him. I will entrust myself entirely to Him.

"I offer You in advance, my Good Master, all that I have and all that I am. Dispose of me according to Your good pleasure. Whether death come soon or later, I accept it willingly. Provided that I die in Your love and embracing You, my Good Master, I ask nothing more. May my death be my last act of love, the best of all my acts of love. Amen."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: